For more kick, add jalapeño or your favorite chile. And this is a great way to use your tomato harvest – plus you can can it and share with your neighbors or friends. Great on burgers, sausage or just as a side for your summer BBQ.
Black Olive and Tomato Relish (or Salsa)
- 2 cups peeled seeded and diced tomato (allow to drain well before preparing relish)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine tomato with next four ingredients. In another bowl, combine lemon juice, mustard, vinegar and sugar. While whisking, add olive oil in a thin stream to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper and add to bowl with tomato mixture. Allow to rest at room temperature for 30 – 60 minutes.