Those of you might not think this shrimp looks really appetizing – but trust me, it tastes delicious. Keep refrigerated and it will keep for some time for you. Great appetizer for a football party or backyard bbq.
- 2 1/2 pounds shrimp
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 2 quarts water for boiling shrimp
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 – 4 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into 5 – 6 slices
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (optional)
- 1 cup button mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons capers, with juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Heat marinade ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil to blend flavors. Remove from heat and thoroughly cool marinade.
- Bring water and pickling spice to a boil over high heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until just pink. Drain shrimp through colander. Place in large jars or a container with onion, bay leaves, lemon slices, artichoke hearts and mushrooms. Pour marinade over. Refrigerate for 12 hours before eating. Keep refrigerated.
Copyright: The Sporting Chef - www.sportingchef.com