By request from Jeff Smalley of Auburn, Alabama. Jeff wants to know what to do with all of the coots, spoonbills and mergansers he shoots. I use the recipe for widgeon, gadwall, etc. This makes a great breakfast sausage.
- 2 cups duck breasts
- 1 cup boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- *** salt to taste
- 1 egg
- *** vegetable oil for sautéing
- Place duck and pork shoulder in a food processor and grind thoroughly. Place ground mixture in a large bowl.
- Heat butter in a skillet and sauté onion, celery, jalapeno and garlic until onion is translucent. Add orange juice and cook until liquid reduced by one-half. Add pepper and salt to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add mixture to bowl with ground duck, etc. Add egg and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Form meat into egg-sized balls and then press into patties. Add enough oil to just coat the bottom of a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add patties and sauté on each side until well-browned and cooked throughout.