If you want to take your time, make your own stock out of a roasted wild turkey carcass and leg/thigh meat. Be sure to let the wild rice cook for awhile, it takes longer to cook than regular rice. And if you just don’t have time, then swap the rice out for noodles.
Quick Wild Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cooked wild turkey breast, diced or shredded
- salt and pepper
- Melt half of the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add next 4 ingredients and cook until onions are translucent. Add remaining butter. When butter is melted, sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir often for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken stock and continue stirring until smooth. Add remaining chicken stock, a little at a time, while stirring. Add mushrooms and milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in rice and turkey to warm. Season with salt and pepper.
Copyright: The Sporting Chef - www.sportingchef.com