Don’t let the name run you off. It’s just a wine and butter sauce. Great on fish and light-fleshed game. Try it with red wine (beurre rouge) with antlered game and waterfowl – and let me know what you think of it!
Tomato-Basil Beurre Blanc
Servings: 1 Cup
- 2 cupsdry white wine
- 3 tablespoons shallot peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 6 ounces weight chilled butter, cut into pieces
- white pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato; peeled seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced (or substitute pinch dried basil leaves)
- Heat wine, shallots and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, uncovered. Reduce liquid to a few tablespoons. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter, a few pieces at a time, until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in tomato and basil and serve.
- Note: Do not bring sauce to a boil after butter has been added or it will break!